Welcome to the online hub for those who appreciate the Hominy Creek Greenway.
The Friends of Hominy Creek Greenway (FOHCG) is a non-profit group committed to the preservation of the Hominy Creek Greenway. We have worked since 2010 with the City of Asheville and local residents in accordance with our mission statement.
The Friends of Hominy Creek Greenway (FOHCG) works with the community to manage the Hominy Creek Greenway (HCG) in order
- to maintain its wild nature,
- to preserve its rich history, and
- to connect the HCG to the French Broad River, future greenways, and downtown Asheville.
Friends of Hominy Creek Greenway works collaboratively with members, volunteers, neighbors, school groups and local organizations to restore native habitats along Hominy Creek as a place for community to recreate, commute, and connect with nature. We envision the following:
- Creation of a community greenway park by working with local artisans, landscapers, and neighbors to create park facilities that support community gatherings, individual discovery, and alternative modes of transportation
- Restored native habitats through the riparian zone and waterway
- Partnerships that foster support for the greenway and encourage the involvement of local businesses and residents.
- Established community gardens and edible forests in ideal places along the greenway/path
- Interpretative signs and educational tools for teachers, students, and other visitors
- Well-maintained footpaths to ensure its use as a trail for walkers, bikers, and other wanderers-raising source for the Friends of Hominy Creek Greenway.
Please contact board president Jack Igelman at firstname.lastname@example.org if desired.